Sunday, April 25, 2010

Green Salad

I have been asked on many occasions to bring a green salad to a party or gathering. Depending on the season, ingredients will vary so this isn't a normal recipe persay. I also don't toss my salad. I know that people like some things and not others so leaving the salad untossed allows for people to pick and choose what veggies they want.

I start with a couple of bags of salad...usually iceberg lettuce with purple cabbage and carrots but I sometimes mix it with spring greens or butter lettuce. I try to make the salad as colorful as possible. Here are some of the ingredients I use.

cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
bell peppers, green, red, yellow, or orange, cut into strips
radishes, crinkle cut or sliced thin
purple onions, sliced thin and separated into circles
burpless cucumbers, crinkle cut or sliced thin
baby carrots, cut into matchsticks
summer squash, crinkle cut or sliced thin
black olives, sliced
shredded or cubed cheese
green onions, sliced
peapods, stringed

I layer whichever veggies I choose and then chill the salad at least an hour before chilling. I also usually bring dressings and croutons to the party for guests to add on their own. Croutons get soggy on the salad if you add them.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...