Saturday, March 19, 2011

Biscuits and Gravy

Sometimes when I think about my favorite foods...I think that I should have been born South of the Mason-Dixon line.  I like a lot of different rich Southern foods.  I LOVE biscuits and gravy.  I'll be honest and tell you they give me terrible heartburn but every bite is worth it.  I can't say this is WW friendly and Lord knows I am not going to try and adapt it.  Sometimes you need to go big or go home and you don't want to scrimp on your biscuits and gravy.

1 tube large refrigerated  flaky biscuits (if you don't have time to whip up baking powder biscuits from scratch)
1lb. bulk pork sausage
1 C. chopped sweet onion
2 tbsp butter
1 envelop country gravy mix
1 tbsp all purpose flour
Dash each of garlic powder, Italian seasoning, onion powder and pepper
1 1/2 C. 2% milk
1 C. reduced sodium chicken broth

Bake biscuits according to package instructions.

Meanwhile in a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain.  Add butter, cook until melted.  Stir in the gravy mix, flour and seasonings until blended.  Gradually add milk and broth.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.  Serve with biscuits.

No comments:

Chicken Scarpariello

 Every so often Chris gives me a cooking "challenge".  I was laid off from my job a few weeks ago so I have some spare time and ha...