Monday, February 13, 2012

Minestrone Soup

I found this in a recent Better Homes and Gardens.  I'll be looking for some meat free soup for Lent.  This will work for sure.  You could probably switch out garbanzos and use cannelini beans if you want.  I will also probably triple this recipe so I can share it with my mother in law---it makes a pretty small batch.

1 28oz. can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
1 14 to 15oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed.
1 C. low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 C. dry rigatoni or penne pasta
2 to 3 C. baby spinach
Shaved Parmesan cheese to taste

In a Dutch oven, combine the tomatoes, 2 C. water, beans, broth, sweet pepper, seasoning and pasta.  Bring to boiling over high heat.  Reduce heat to medium.  Cook, covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until pasta is barely tender.

Stir in spinach.  Ladle into individual bowls.  Top with Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...