Friday, November 9, 2012

Italian Shredded Pork Stew

Once again I have a pile of cooking magazines that have accumulated at my house.  I get caught up and then spend an evening playing on Pinterest or playing Lexulous.  Then one evening turns to two or three and suddenly I am up to my eyebrows in magazines again.  I saw this in Simple and Delicious and think this will become a staple for the winter months.

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 C. chopped fresh kale (I may sub spinach here)
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds)
1 14oz. can white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 cans 14.5oz. each chicken broth
Sour cream, optional

Place sweet potatoes, kale, onion and garlic in a slow cooker.  Place roast on vegetables.  Add the beans and seasonings.  Pour broth over the top.  Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove meat and cool slightly.  Skim fat from cooking juices.  Shred pork with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through.  Garnish with sour cream, if desired.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...