Sunday, December 23, 2012

Holly Crackles

You've seen these before on a Christmas cookie tray...corn flakes covered in a green marshmallow mixture and dotted with Red Hot candies.  Simple and quite frankly yummy.  I made some this morning as part of my  Christmas baking blitz.  This is Mr. Food's recipe.  I used to love when he would appear on our local news show and was sad to hear of his passing literally a couple of weeks ago.  Thanks, Mr. Food!  I thought of you fondly while I was up to my elbows in bright green marshmallow fluff!!


  • 1/2 C. (1stick) butter
  • 30 large marshmallows (a 10-ounce bag contains 38 to 40)--I used minis today and they worked fine
  • 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons green food color
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups cornflakes cereal
  • Red-hot cinnamon candies, for decorating

  •   In a medium saucepan, melt butter and marshmallows over medium-low heat, stirring constantly.
  • When melted, remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon food color and the vanilla. Add more food color, if desired. Stir in cornflakes.
  • Drop mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, onto wax paper. Decorate with candies. Let stand 30 minutes, or until cool.


  • No comments:

    Key Lime Bars

     We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...