Saturday, September 21, 2013

Portillos Chopped Salad

If you're not lucky enough to be from the Chicago area...or a few other areas in the US...you haven't gotten to try a Portillos chopped salad.  It's my favorite thing on the Portillos menu.  When I get it for lunch, I order it with some chopped chicken as well.  If you're using it as a side, you don't need the chicken.  You can chop by hand, I used my food processor.  It still took the better part of an hour to get it all ready.

1 head iceberg lettuce
1-2 heads Romaine lettuce, depending on the size
1 small head red cabbage, minced or 1 bag sliced red cabbage, chopped
1 small red onion, finely minced
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 C. ditalini pasta; cooked and cooled
1lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 C. goronzola cheese; crumbled
Vinaigrette dressing; bottled or homemade.  I used Kraft creamy Italian

Wash and dry the lettuces.  Finely chop until the lettuce is in small pieces.  Put in a large bowl.

Add remaining ingredients, except dressing, and toss to combine well.

Serve dressing on hte side or pour on and combine just before serving.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...