Friday, September 13, 2013

Stuffed Pepper Soup

I saw someone on Facebook talking about a stuffed pepper soup recipe.  I went to allrecipes.com  and found a recipe and then tweaked it some.  It feels fall-ish today; a big turnaround from the 95 degrees we had earlier this week.  Soup will be a good lunch tomorrow!  Just a note: this has more of a stew or chili consistency so if you're looking for a thin soup, this one isn't for you.

2lbs. lean ground beef
1 green bell pepper, chopped...my Mom had given me about 6 bell peppers and each one was between a golf ball and tennis ball in size; I chopped them all
1 29oz. can tomato sauce
1 29oz. can diced tomatoes
2 beef bouillion cubes...I didn't have any cubes so I added 1/2 C. of low sodium beef broth
1/4 C. packed brown sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 C. cooked white rice...I used orzo

In a Dutch oven brown beef over medium high heat. Drain off any fat.





Add the peppers to the browned meat and saute for 3 minutes.





Stir in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with juice, bouillon cubes, brown sugar, salt, pepper and soy sauce. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. Stir in rice and heat through.


No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...