Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Empty the Fridge Pasta Primavera

This dish was inspired by Ree Drummond's Pasta Primavera that you can find on her blog.  I love her show and follow her blog.  I would also give my right arm for her kitchen.  I made a big pot of this a couple of weeks ago and we ate every bite!

First I swirled some olive oil in a large Dutch oven and added some shallots and garlic; the shallots were chopped fine and the garlic was crushed.


Then I added carrots and red pepper diced finely.


Next I added frozen corn, frozen green beans and some frozen chopped spinach.  I also added in a cup and a half of chicken broth.


Then I added a cup of heavy cream, 3/4 C. Parmesan cheese, and 1 pkg. of smoked sausage sliced in quarter inch slices.


While all of this was cooking, I cooked a pkg. of gemelli according package directions.  When the pasta was just about done, I took a cup of the pasta cooking water and put it into the Dutch oven.  The sauce had started to thicken and the pasta water loosened it up a bit.


I drained the cooked pasta and added it my meat and veggie mixture.


Chris is not a big fan of sun dried tomatoes so I added them to just my portion when serving.


Topped it off with some shaved Asiago cheese.  It was yummy.


I didn't measure much of anything in this recipe.  I was mostly just eyeballing everything as I threw it in.  I added less spinach because honestly, I am not a big fan of cooked spinach.  All of the other veggies I really liked.  You could also add asparagus or broccoli...you won't catch me adding broccoli but when you make it; add whatever you like, whatever is in season or whatever is in your fridge!!

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...