Monday, May 31, 2010

If it works in your oven...

It works on the grill.

That's just one of the tidbits of info we learned in our Beer Garden Grill class yesterday. That statement was made in reference to the roasting pan used to hold brats in beer as the simmered on the grill. The pan our instructor used was a Le Crueset but Pyrex will work, so will Corning, your cast iron skillet, you get the idea.

Our instructor was also a master of knife skills. It was so much fun to watch her, knife flying while she described her every move. It reminded me how much I need to take a knife skills class. I am not good at rocking the knife as I chop.

Also, when you cook bacon you want to start with a cold pan and cold bacon; you render the fat better that way. Plus it is easier to chop or slice your bacon when it is ice cold or even frozen. Anyone who has tried to slice slimy room temperature bacon knows what I mean.

I will try to remember to post a photo of what I mean when I say that Michelle (our instructor) sliced a green pepper like an apple off the core in four pieces. I usually manage to have pepper seeds all over the kitchen so I am going to try this way the next time I cut up peppers.

This class reminded me yet again, that I need to go to culinary school and then teach classes like this. 20 years after graduating college, I have finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...