Saturday, October 1, 2011

Roasted Beets

Beets...I have loved them (pickled) since I was a child.  I love the texture and the tang of a pickled beet.  Aunt Nellie's in a jar were a fan favorite and who doesn't love putting them on your plate with mashed potatoes so you can have hot pink taters???  I have found over the last couple of years that I like beets roasted too.  There is something so earthy about a roasted beet.  I plan to hit the farmer's market next week and I think beets will be on my list.

Cut off all the leaves of your beets; do not peel.  Toss with a splash each of olive oil and water; then salt and pepper to taste.  Wrap each beet in foil and roast at 425 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes.  Let cool slightly, then unwrap and rub off the skins.

If you'd like, cut the beets into wedges and toss with crumbled blue cheese, pistachios, arugula and olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.

The beets are also good with just salad greens and some balsamic.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...