Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tomato Basil Soup

I found another meat free soup for Lent!  It's funny because so many of my meat free soups are so good that I eat them outside of Lent as well.  I just wish the fresh basil I get for this soup was coming from the herb garden on the deck...in a few months.

1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 C. onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 C. chopped fresh basil
1 28oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes undrained
1/2 C. low fat cream cheese
2 C. low fat milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion; saute 3 minutes.  Stir in garlic; cook for 1 minute.  Add basil and tomatoes; bring to a boil.  Stir in cheese until melted.  Place mixture in blender ( I will most likely use my stick blender) and blend until smooth.  Return to pan; stir in milk, salt and pepper.  Return to medium high heat; cook 2 minutes.






No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...