Thursday, April 25, 2013

Eating Through the Deep South

Hi ya'll!  Did I sound like Paula Deen?  Yeah, I didn't think so.

Spent a week in the deep South and figured I had better try some Southern cooking.

One of the main things I wanted to try was shrimp and grits.  Now, sometimes when I eat shrimp, accompanied by wine, chocolate, and other food loaded with sodium, I get a terrible migraine headache.  Before you stop reading my blog because I eat shrimp and chocolate together; let me explain.  It was Christmas; shrimp, wine and lots of sodium was dinner, the chocolate was for dessert. Anyway, I have meds for my migraines which I was sure to pack and I decided I was going for it.  I was going to have shrimp and grits.

Shortly after arriving in Charleston, SC we went to Hyman's for seafood.  Before I get to the shrimp and grits, we had some boiled peanuts.  I am told people in the South LOVE these.  Frankly, I do not see the appeal.  They're OK.  They have the consistency of red beans in red beans and rice.  Kind of weird actually.

Moving on...the shrimp and grits were amazing...and no migraine.  Let me tell you that shrimp near the ocean is SO MUCH BETTER than shrimp you get in Chicago.

After lunch we spent the afternoon exploring Market St. in  Charleston.  There is a dessert bar on Market St.  that is open until 2am!  Kaminsky's bakery  It also sells pastries to go.  We picked up some coconut cake and blueberry pie to enjoy later.  Both were amazing.  I may have to try making coconut cake.  I cannot  even describe how good it was.

Going on vacation always throws off my best eating intentions.  On a normal weekday, I eat Greek yogurt with 1/4 C. of Cheerios stirred in.  Each morning on the trip we had a breakfast buffet so I had eggs bacon and grits.  I tried to limit my portions and I did count the calories but it was certainly a huge change from my usual.

Monday night we were going to a place known for seafood. Did I dare try the shrimp again??  I love deep fried shrimp...even though too much of it also insults my gall bladder and my brain isn't sure where the threshold of  "too much" is.  In Chicago, the star of fried shrimp is the breading.  In Charleston....the shrimp are ever so slightly coated in breading and the rich flavor comes through and through.  Our dessert was chocolate cake.  I only took two bites...I wasn't taking any chances...when you have such good food...you don't want to make yourself sick.  Needless to say, I didn't get all my veggies in on those days.


We had a couple of group dinners where we had to choose our meals ahead of time.  For our "fancy" dinner in Jekyll Island I chose roast pork and garlic mashed potatoes and a veggie.  On our last night, I chose chicken Piccata with mashed potatoes and a veggie.  On both occasions, the veggie was broccoli. I am so NOT a fan of broccoli.  The only way I enjoy broccoli is in the cole slaw my aunt makes; it's raw and chopped small.

At our dinner on Jekyll Island, I did have the best piece of Key Lime Pie I have ever had.  It was simply amazing.

Thursday night Mom and I were on our own for dinner and there was a restaurant on the pier on Jekyll Island called Latitude 31.  It's a seafood place, go figure.  Did I dare eat shrimp again?  Yep!  Toss it with some pasta and some andouille sausage and you have a fantastic entree.  Mom had 8 of the most beautiful scallops that you'll ever see anywhere.  We split a piece of lemon berry cake with marscarpone cheese for dessert.  Both of us felt a little left of center late Thursday night into Friday morning.  I think our bodies while enjoying all of the good food we had tried...were a little overwhelmed!

So, those were the culinary highlights of my trip to the deep South.  The fruit was fantastic down there too.  Spring is coming up North but it is sure taking its time getting here!

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...