Sunday, May 25, 2014

Pepper and Egg Sandwiches

I am thinking perhaps that pepper and egg sandwiches are regional...feel free to comment and correct me if I am wrong.  These are big sellers during Lent at a lot of the local sandwich shops as it is a delicious meat free meal.  There are a couple of places we get our pepper and egg sandwiches from in the neighborhood but I decided to try my hand at homemade.  They came out yummy!

First, I sauteed some peppers and onions in olive oil until tender but not squishy.  You can use green peppers, hot peppers, pick your peppers.



Then I cut the bread...in hindsight, I should have chosen something other than a ciabatta loaf or I should have done a better job cutting the bread because these shapes became a bit troublesome when I got ready to throw these in the broiler.


Next, scramble some eggs, I put some Italian seasoning in with the eggs.  Put the eggs on top of the bread and the peppers and onions on top of the eggs.


Top with cheese, I used provolone but you can use whatever kind of cheese you like best! Broil until cheese melts and becomes golden brown and bubbly.  These particular sandwiches required a knife and fork.


No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...