Thursday, April 8, 2010

Peach Cobbler

This is a recipe that my Grandma copied for me years ago. I treasure the recipe cards in her handwriting. I aspire one day to make a peach cobbler like what they have at Smoque BBQ, which makes me weak in the knees, and I am guessing my family and friends will be OK with helping perfect this one. I need to keep Smoque's secret ingredient in mind when I am making this recipe...sliced almonds.

4 C. peaches, sliced
2 tbsp. flour
1 1/4 C. sugar
1 tbsp. margarine
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1/3 C. milk
1/4 C. melted shortening

Arrange peaches in 7X11X2in. baking dish. Mix 2 tbsp flour and 1 C. sugar, sprinkle with lemon juice. Pour mixture over peaches. Dot with butter. Bake in a 425 oven for 20 minutes. Sift 1 1/2 C. flour, salt, baking powder and remaining sugar. Beat egg, milk and melted shortening. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until just damp. Dough should be soft. Drop by 1/2 tablespoons full on cooked fruit. Bake 15 minutes longer or until brown. **Canned peaches may be used, just decrease sugar to 1/2 C.

1 comment:

Kathie said...

I tried this the other day with a tsp. of almond extract added. Yum!

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...