Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Sweet Potato Yams

You know you have become an adult in my family when you are asked to bring something other than olives or jello to a family gathering. This past Christmas I volunteered for sweet potatoes for dinner at my aunts' house. I am pretty much a sweet potato novice because you couldn't pay me to eat them when I was a kid. They must have been a hit at Christmas because I was asked to make them for Easter as well. This is a Paula Deen recipe and I double it because my family loves their sweet taters! My house smells so good when the sauce is cooking.

3 large sweet potatoes
3 C. water
1 1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 tbsp. butter
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until the potatoes are soft to the touch. Remove from the oven and let them cool. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees. While the potatoes are baking, combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the sauce is slightly thickened. Peel and slice the potatoes into 1/2 inch thick slices and place them in a medium casserole. Pour the sauce over them and return to the oven for 15 minutes or until hot.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...