Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Blueberry Cornmeal Cake

OK, I found this in the latest issue of Bon Appetit magazine. Most of the recipes in this magazine intimidate me. When I first started getting it, most of the recipes had ingredients I had never heard of, let alone kept in my cupboard! I plan to make this recipe...I'll just need some family members or friends willing to be my guinea pigs and try it. Wonder if I'll have any takers.

Special equipment needed: 10in. springform pan with 2 3/4in high sides.

Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 1/2 C. all purpose flour
2/3 C. cornmeal
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
6 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 tsp. honey
10 tbsp. unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 C. plus 3 tbsp. sugar divided
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. ricotta cheese
1/3 C. plain yogurt
3 C. fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Whisk flour and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk oil, eggs, vanilla and honey in another medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter, 3/4 C. plus 2 tbsp. sugar and 1 1/2 tsp. salt in a large bowl until creamy. With mixer running on medium speed, gradually add egg mixture, beat to blend. Beat in flour mixture, just to blend. Add ricotta and yogurt; beat on low speed just to blend.

Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Scatter 1 1/2 C. blueberries over batter. Spoon remaining batter over in dollops then spread to cover blueberries. Scatter remaining blueberries. Sprinkle remaining 1 tbsp. sugar over blueberries.

Bake cake until top is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool completely in pan on rack.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...