Sunday, June 6, 2010

All is Right with the World

Most of you know that I live in the same neighborhood I grew up in. Over the last several years some culinary staples disappeared from the local landscape.

Those of you who are local will remember specifically Peterson's Ice Cream and Armand's Pizza.

I remember going to Peterson's as a child with my parents and grandparents. Sometimes a trip to Peterson's was a reward for behaving on a tremendously boring (who knew I would grow up to loving shopping) shopping trip for sewing patterns and material. Peterson's was the stereotypical ice cream parlor. They had wonderful ice cream and hot fudge that you could stand a spoon in that came in these beautiful silver boats so you could pour it over your sundae yourself. As I got older, Peterson's evolved into a restaurant that served ice cream and moved away from the ice cream parlor atmosphere somewhat.

Then rumors circulated that Peterson's was closing...and it did. It reopened as a tiny storefront with just an ice cream counter and a couple of tables. It wasn't the same but it still had the hot fudge and salted pecans which made a turtle sundae that was heaven on earth. The hot fudge and the pecans are so good that Chris got me some for an anniversary gift last year and it was one of my favorite gifts.

Yesterday we were over near Peterson's and it had moved back into the original storefront under the old fashioned neon sign. The ice cream counter is marble, there are marble topped tables with wire legs and shabby chic chandeliers. The turtle sundae takes me back to my childhood.

Those of you that live in the area know about Armand's Pizza. I have loved this pizza since I have had enough teeth to eat pizza. It was my Dad's favorite pizza. It was often my birthday destination. The food wasn't ever gourmet but it was good and it was often the sentimental choice as well as the favorite taste. I can remember calling home from New York's Kennedy airport on my way home from France in 1985 to warn my parents I was going to be on an earlier flight and to please have an Armand's pizza ordered for when I got home.

Armand's was phone number I knew by heart. When the economy went south a couple of years ago, the crowds thinned at Armand's and the rumors swirled that it was just a matter of time before they closed their doors for good. It happened last June. There was no fanfare, just a sign in the window thanking patrons for 53 wonderful years. I felt like I had lost an old friend.

This past spring rumors started about a new location opening in the neighborhood. Could it be?? I had to check it out myself so I stalked the rumored location and sure enough, it was a couple of months away but a new franchise was opening.

I haven't gotten pizza there yet but I will soon. I realize that things change and while change isn't my favorite thing, I am learning to adapt; and sometimes things change for the best.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...