Sunday, June 27, 2010

Crispy Crab Cakes

OK, those who know me, know that I am not a seafood fan. You're not going to find several chapters in my blog on fish, sorry, it's not going to happen. However, there are certain things in the seafood world that I do like. I will also try just about anything once.

A couple of years ago, Mom and I went to Cape Cod on vacation. I decided I was going to try a few things and see if my general opinion of seafood had changed. We were in a restaurant having dinner and I decided to have crab cakes for dinner. They were outstanding. What I had was considered and appetizer but I could have had one more and it would have been a meal. On this trip, I tried the crab cakes, clam chowder and scallops and the crab cakes were my favorite.

This recipe is Ellie Krieger's so these crab cakes are almose WW friendly.

1 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 C. finely chopped red pepper
1 C. panko
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp. nonfat milk
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
Dash of hot sauce
1lb. lump crab meat, picked over
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
olive oil cooking spray

Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the scallions and bell pepper and cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly.

Mix 1/2 C. panko, the egg and milk in a small bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, lemon juice, Old Bay, and hot sauce; fold in crab meat, panko mixture, scallion red pepper mixture, 1/4 tsp. of salt and a pinch of pepper. Shape into 8 patties and refrigerate 30 minutes.

Coat the crab cakes with the remaining 1/2 C. panko. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Mist the crab cakes with cooking spray and cook, sprayed side down, 3 to 4 minutes. Spray the tops, flip and cook 3 to 4 more minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...