Friday, September 10, 2010

Sweet and Spicy Pecans

I found this recipe in my Food Network Magazine in an article about a backyard BBQ at Vice President Biden's house honoring wounded war veterans.  I love nuts and didn't think you could make them better than they are on their own.  I need to make sure I give most of these away when I make them.  I see myself eating them all in one sitting!

1 large egg white
2 C. unsalted pecan halves
2 C. unsalted roasted cashews
1/2 C. sugar
1 tbsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.  Beat the egg white with 1 tbsp. water in a large bowl until foamy.  Add the nuts, sugar, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. salt and mix well.  Spread the mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake until the nuts are mostly dry but still a bit sticky, about 40 minutes.

Remove the nuts from the oven and stir.  Reduce the temperature to 200 degrees.  Return the nuts to the oven and bake until crisp, about 30 more minutes.  Stir to loosen the nuts from the baking sheet and cool completely on the sheet.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...