Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pork Roast, it's the Other White Meat!

I think I have mentioned before that Chris is the meat man.  Any given day, he can stop at the grocery store for a gallon of milk and will come home with a roast.  At one point in time since we got married, I think we had 9 roasts in the house and the kids weren't even in town.  Case in point last Saturday, Chris was kind enough to brave Caputos at about 1:30 in the afternoon.  I had given him a list of some produce, canned goods and yogurt.  Wouldn't you know it, he came home with a GINORMOUS pork roast.  I cut it into 3 manageable roasts, vac-packed them and froze them for future use.

I came across this recipe in an ad in the new WW magazine.  I still have rosemary in the yard.  I'll pick up garlic at the farmer's market Saturday.  I see this in my near future.

2.5lbs boneless top loin pork roast
1 1/2 C. fresh rosemary leaves
12 cloves garlic
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper
2 1/2lbs small red potatoes cut into 1/2 inch wedges

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a food processor, combine rosemary, garlic, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; pulse to a coarse, wet paste.  Spread 3/4 of the paste on all sides of the roast.  Place roast, fat side up in shallow roasting pan.  Roast 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix potatoes and remaining paste.  Reduce oven to 350 degrees.  Place coated potatoes around roast; cook 50 to 60 minutes, tossing potatoes about halfway.  Cook roast until internal temperature reaches 150 degrees.  If potatoes are not done, transfer roast to cutting board and continue cooking potatoes.

Remove roast from oven, let rest 10 minutes.  Slice and arrange on platter with potatoes.

That's a lot of rosemary!
 That's a lot of garlic!


The house smelled fantastic when this was cooking!

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...