Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Creamy Butternut Soup

No, I am not going to take a loaf of Butternut bread and cube it and float it in chicken broth.  In keeping with expanding my vegetable horizons, I am going to try making butternut squash soup.  I am going to tweak this recipe just a bit and add some cooked crumbled pancetta because everything is better with bacon and it's twice as good when the bacon has a fancy name.  LOL

1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 6 cups)
5 C. water
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large onion, diced
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 garlic cloves, minced
Pancetta, cooked until crispy and crumbled
Sour cream and chives, optional

In a Dutch oven, combine the squash, water, potatoes, onion, bouillon cubes and garlic.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Remove from the heat; cool slightly.  In a blender, puree mixture in batches or use an immersion blender.  Return to the pan; heat through.  Serve with pancetta, sour cream and chives.

I tried this today (11/21); used regular bacon instead of pancetta, and I also added some cayenne and some chipotle pepper as well as salt and pepper to taste.  My immersion blender made it smooth and silky and it tastes fantastic!

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...