Saturday, January 8, 2011

Beef Tagine with Butternut Squash

I learned that I like butternut squash this fall.  I may try this in my crockpot.  I love my crockpot with the timer on it.  It's great to not cook things into oblivion.   I also have no idea why you couldn't use chicken in this recipe in place of the beef.  I may give it a try and report back.

 I think I will serve this with brown rice.  I am not sure if I will be able to sell couscous to Chris-Chris.  Hahahaha!

2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 (1lb) beef shoulder roast or petite tender roast, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tbsp. olive oil
4 shallots, quartered
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 C. lower sodium chicken broth
1 14.5oz. can of no salt added diced tomatoes
3 C. butternut squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 C. chopped fresh cilantro

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl.  Add beef; toss well to coat.

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat.  Add beef and shallots; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally.  Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.  Stir in broth and tomatoes; bringing to a boil.  Cook 5 minutes.  Add squash; cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until squash is tender.  Sprinkle with cilantro.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...