Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake

I think I may have mentioned that chocolate cake is not my favorite; sometimes it feels too heavy in my stomach.  Hard to believe, I know.  At any rate, I am never going to give up chocolate cake so anytime I see new recipes, I am more than willing to give them a try.  This recipe as written calles for 2 16oz. cans of frosting.  I will make either homemade butter cream or ganache.  Canned frosting has its place but it isn't here in my humble opinion.

1/4 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 C. boiling water
2 C. sugar
1/2 C. butter, softened
1 C. sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
2 C. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
5 egg whites

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.

Combine the cocoa powder and boiling water in a bowl and stir until  the cocoa is dissolved, about 30 seconds.

Combine the sugar and butter in a large bowl.  Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.  Add the cocoa mixture and mix for 1 minute longer.  Beat in the sour cream, vanilla and baking soda.  Add the flour and salt.  Mix for 1 minute more.

Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form, 2-3 minutes.  Fold into the batter.

Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pans.  Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean, 25-28 minutes.  Transfer to wire racks to cool.  Cut each layer into 2 even layers for 4 layers total.  Spread frosting of choice between the layers and over the top and sides of your cooled cake.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...