Saturday, March 26, 2011

Yep, I am a foodie...

OK, if you are looking for a recipe in this post you're going to be disappointed.  I was taking an online survey today and was asked the question if I was a foodie.  I thought, "maybe so"  so I checked the "yes" box.  After dinner tonight at Dorado (http://www.doradorestaurant.net/apps/testimonials/)  I have decided that the title "foodie" is indeed accurate.

This was our second trip to Dorado.  We went in November for our anniversary and were blown away by the food.  I had a salad of pear, greens, goat cheese and pine nuts.  It was out of this world.  I followed it up with pork tenderloin with cajun mashed sweet potatoes which melted in your mouth.  Then the piece de resistance (break out your French accent to read the last line) was the finest bread pudding I have ever eaten.

Chris and I went back there tonight and if it's possible, the meal was better tonight than in November.  The restaurant is tiny but cozy.  It was packed when we arrived.  If you're going to try it, make sure you make a reservation.  Chances are decent on a Saturday night, you won't get a seat without one.

Chris and I split duck nachos and shrimp quesadillas for appetizers.  I tried duck for the first time tonight.  I don't think I will order a full roasted duck in the near future but the shredded smoked duck on these nachos was amazing.  The shrimp quesadillas come with both red and green sauce and it's hard for me to decide which is better.

Dinner tonight was a NY strip steack grilled to medium beautifully.  It was served with chipotle mashed potatoes and sauteed yellow squash and red peppers.  The steak was perfectly cooked and not covered with a gazillion spices.  It was just salt and pepper.  The dish was on the list of specials for tonight and was supposed to be served with a mole sauce.  I asked for it to be served with the house red sauce which is a pepper sauce that has a hint of both cinnamon and nutmeg in it.  It was one of those meals that I wanted to pick my plate up and lick it when I was done.  Chris had the Chicken Milanesa which is a split chicken breast crusted in pistachioes and grilled.  It was served with garlic mashed and the same red sauce I had with my steak.

I had the bread pudding again for dessert.  It is served on a bed of homemade caramel sauce and it is heavenly.  Chris had chocolate chimichangas.  The chocolate is Mexican style; mixed with cinnamon and tastes out of this world.  I can't remember when I have had a meal out that was as good as the meals I have had at Dorado.

So yes, I am a foodie...it's a wonderful thing to be!

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...