Thursday, January 26, 2012

Orange Cream Cheese Bread

This looks good although I may skip the nuts.  I am not sure I would miss them in this recipe.  I may try this out at work.  I have a good bunch of good critics there and they don't mind being my occasional guinea pigs!  I wonder what this would taste like if I swapped out the orange juice for some ruby red grapefruit juice?


1-8 oz.  package cream cheese, softened
1/2 C. shortening
1 2/3 C. granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 1/4 C. all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 C. milk
1/2 C. chopped walnuts
2 Tbsp grated orange peel
1/4 C. orange juice




Combine cream cheese and shortening, creaming well.

Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.

Add eggs, beating well after each addition.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.

Stir in walnuts and orange peel.

Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 3 inch loaf pans.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

Let cool in pan for 10 mintues. Then sprinkle orange juice over loaves. Remove to wire rack to finish cooling  

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...