Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Crust

OK, I know I have talked about frozen pot pies we ate on TV trays as kids for a Friday or Saturday night supper.  I can remember watching the Muppets while enjoying enough processed food and sodium to choke a horse.  When I think about what I ate as a kid or even 10 years ago compared to how I cook now, I am amazed and glad.  I wonder if this recipe can be adapted to have homemade biscuits on the top instead of tube biscuits...although I may have to be realistic.  My full time job sometimes gets in my way of my cooking adventures.  LOL  I am going to try this as written firstand we'll see how it turns out.

1/4 C. butter
1 small onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
2/3 C. frozen peas
3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 C. all purpose flour
2 C. lower sodium chicken broth
2/3 C. half and half
salt and ground black pepper to taste
3 C. cooked chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
1 can refrigerated flaky style biscuits
1 egg yolk, beaten
1 tbsp. water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt butter in a skillet over medium low heat and cook the onion, celery and carrots until the celery and carrots are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stir in peas, parsley, thyme and flour, and cook stirring constantly, until the flour coats the vegetables and begins to fry, about 5 minutes.  Whisk in chicken broth and half and half and cook until the sauce is thick and bubbling.  Season to taste with salt and pepper, and mix in the chicken meat.

Transfer the chicken, vegetables and sauce into a 2 quart baking dish.  Arrange biscuits on top of the filling.  In a small bowl, beat egg yolk with water; brush egg yolk on the biscuits.



Looks good, doesn't it?
Bake in the preheated oven until the biscuits are golden brown and the pie filling is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...