Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Salad Meals

I have been trying to eat more salads lately but just lettuce and veggies doesn't take me as far as I would like.  I will try to take some photos the next time I am working on a dinner salad.  I start with greens; sometimes it's iceberg, sometimes it's spinach or spring greens.  Pick your favorite lettuce or combination of lettuces.  Then add meat.  That's right, meat!  The other night I took leftover smoked brisket, put it on some romaine, added grape tomatoes, yellow peppers, feta cheese, and croutons.  Instead of dressing, I used BBQ sauce.  It was delicious!

Once night last week, I used iceberg lettuce and added some pulled pork that had been cooked with Chinese 5 spice powder and hoisin sauce.  I used shredded cheddar, tomatoes and peppers on that salad and used some balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

You can use fruit or veggies or fruit AND veggies.  I always add a protein to fill me up.  Sometimes I use nuts instead of croutons.  You can toast the nuts as well.

If your watching your calories, skip the dressing and try lemon or lime juice.  I recently bought some flavored balsamic vinegars and use those to dress my salads; sometimes with olive oil, sometimes alone.

Depending on what you like....you have endless combinations you can make when planning a salad for a meal.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...