Thursday, March 29, 2012

Frozen Chocolate Cream Sabayon

I found this recipe in a Cooking Club of America cookbook that spotlights cooking for two.  I'll be honest when I tell you that the photo sold me on this one.  I may try it this weekend.  We have seen this made countless times on the Food Network and the Cooking Channel and I have ordered it in restaurants but I have never made it myself.  Promise to take photos when I do try the recipe.

I am also going to make an effort, going forward to post nutritional information on my recipes.  I think it's ironic that I decide to start this initiative with a rich custardy (is custardy a word?) dish but it is what it is.

Enjoy!

Sabayon
3 egg yolks
1/4 C. sugar
1 C. whipping cream
2 tbsp. dry Marsala wine
2oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

Sauce
1/4 C. whipping cream
2oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped

In a medium stainless steel bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar; beat with wire whisk until light and creamy.  Add 1/4 C. of the whipping cream and the Marsala; mix well.

Place bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water.  Bowl should not touch the water.  Cook 7 to 10 minutes, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick and foamy and temperature reaches 160 to 165 degrees.  Turn off heat; remove bowl.  Add finely chopped chocolate; stir gently until melted.  Refrigerate until cool.

Meanwhile, line bottom of 4 1/2 C. ramekins with parchment paper.  In medium bowl, beat remaining 3/4 C. whipping cream until soft peaks form.  Gently fold whipped cream into cooled chocolate mixture.  Spoon into ramekins.  Cover; freeze at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.

To make chocolate sauce, in a small saucepan, combine 1/4 C. cream and chopped chocolate; cook over low heat, stirring until melted.

To serve, unmold frozen sabayon onto individual dessert plates.  Let stand 5 to 10 minutes to slightly thaw.  Drizzle with chocolate sauce and serve.

Per serving: 450 calories, 35.5g. total fat (20.5g. saturated fat), 240mg. cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 1.5g. fiber







No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...