Monday, May 28, 2012

Herb Garden 2012

I am late this year getting the herb garden in but I am finally finished.  I have never had luck with veggies in pots and with a yard the size of a postage stamp and a beagle, I don't have room for a vegetable garden that doesn't grow well in a pot; so for me it's herbs.  I love being able to go out on my deck and bring in some fresh herbs.  I roasted a chicken in my crock pot last week with some fresh rosemary and some citrus.  It turned out really delicious and I used the leftover chicken in quesadillas the next night.  See below for photos of my baby herb plants.  I have big plans for my herbs this year~ 


This is my basil plant.  It has tripled in size since I put it in.  I am on alert for Japanese beetles who LOVE to ravage my basil.  Back off bugs!


Here is some sage.  I picked a few leaves to go with my rosemary on the chicken last week.


The thyme is growing great guns.


The chives are a little straggly.  I just got the plant this weekend.  I had one that survived the winter only to die this spring when I forgot to water it and Mother Nature forgot to send rain.



This is marjoram and I picked it up this weekend.



This is the baby rosemary plant.  I have a larger bush that actually survived our mild winter.  I have never had rosemary winter over before so I was pretty proud of myself.  Yes, I know, I had nothing to do with it.  LOL


This Greek oregano grows like a weed.  It's almost like ground cover and it dries nicely.  It's fantastic on eggs as well as the usual places you put oregano.


I don't know about this flat leaf parsley.  It looks pretty peaked.  I may get another plant if this one doesn't shape up.  I did trim the yellow leaves today so hopefully this will help.


This is cilantro...you can bet there will be homemade salsa this summer.  I am going to try my hand at roasting tomatoes because I had some fantastic roasted tomato salsa when in Arizona last week.

Stay tuned for recipes using my "world famous" herb garden!

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...