Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pork and Tomato Skillet Saute

Tomato season is right around the corner...we've had so many 90 degree days so far this season in Chicago, frankly I am surprised we don't have some ready already.  OK, I'll be patient.  This recipe looks fantastic although, I may swap out bone in chops and use boneless.  Of course, I will probably have to see what I have in the deep freeze.  Another couple of days like yesterday and today, I am going to move myself and my laptop into the deep freeze!

4 tsp. olive oil, divided
4 6oz. bone in center cut pork chops
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 C. thinly sliced shallots
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 C. grape tomatoes
3 tbsp. chopped fresh basil

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.  Add 1 tsp. oil, swirl to coat.  Sprinkle chops with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.  Add pork to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.  Remove pork from pan.  Add remaining 1 tbsp. oil, shallots, vinegar, and garlic to pan; saute 1 minute, scraping the pan to loosen brown bits.  Combine tomatoes, remaining salt and pepper in a medium bowl, toss gently to coat.  Add tomato mixture to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tomatoes begin to soften.  Sprinkle with basil.  Serve tomato mixture with pork.

Serves 4: Calories:255, fat: 10.7g, protein 25.3g, carb: 15.1g, fiber: 1.1g, chol:71mg, iron:1.6mg, sodium: 348mg, calc: 41mg.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...