Saturday, September 1, 2012

Garden Fresh Tomato Soup

I made this yesterday.  I had a counter full of tomatoes from my neighbors and wasn't sure what to do with them.  I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and it was super simple to make.  I used about 3 tbsp. of sugar instead of just 2 tsp. the recipe called for.  To me, the recipe needed more sugar to cut the acid of the tomatoes.  I don't see why you couldn't swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth for a meat free soup and I am hoping to still have some decent fresh basil (my plant is a little worse for wear) for when I serve it!

4 C. chopped fresh tomatoes (I trimmed out the woody parts and threw them in skins and all)
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced (I may have used 5 or 6)
2 C. chicken broth (I was pretty liberal here)
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt (Didn't need that much)
2 tsp. white sugar, or to taste

In a stockpot, over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and chicken broth.  Bring to a boil and gently boil for about 20 minutes to blend all of the flavors. Remove from heat and run the mixture through a food mill into a large bowl, or pan (I used my stick blender).

Melt the butter over medium heat.  Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is a medium brown.  Gradually whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest.  Season with sugar and salt.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...