Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mexican White Bean Soup

I see this becoming a winter staple in my house.  I am glad Chris is pretty flexible when it comes to dinner.  If he was a "meat and potatoes" every night guy...he'd just have to starve.  Sometimes I like soup and bread for dinner; even if I had soup and bread for lunch.  I have soup to thank for the fact that I like more and more veggies all the time and things like navy beans and lentils.  Good grief...I am eating all kinds of stuff I swore I wouldn't ever like when I was young.  That must mean I am getting OLD!  Ah well, it happens to the best of us and it sure beats the alternative.

8oz. dried navy beans (1 1/4 C.)
1 large onion, chopped (1 C.)
2 stalks celery, sliced (1 C.)
2 medium carrots, sliced (1 C.)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 14.5oz. can vegetable broth or reduced sodium chicken broth
1 orange
1 C. salsa verde

Rinse beans.  In a 4 to 5 quart Dutch oven combine beans and 6 cups of water.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat.  Simmer uncovered for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Cover and let stand 1 hour.  Drain, rinse beans.

In the Dutch oven, cook onion, celery, carrots and garlic in hot oil until tender.  Stir in cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper.  Add broth, beans and 2 C. water.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.

Using a handheld immersion blender, blend mixture slightly.  Return to pan.  Finely shred 1 tsp. orange peel, then juice the orange.  Stir in juice, orange peel and salsa verde into soup.  Heat through.

Serve with cilantro, sour cream and cayenne pepper, if desired.

Makes 6 servings.

203 calories, 4g. fat, 0mg. cholesterol, 653mg. sodium, 34g. carbs, 12g. fiber, 10g. protein per serving

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...