Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Almond Apricot Logs

I found this in a holiday cookbook.  I plan to try it for the holidays and I am guessing it will either be the centerpiece of my holiday spread this year or it will make me completely insane.  I always make such grandiose plan and then life gets in the way and I get in a time crunch.  I wonder if I should try these beforehand and see what I am getting myself into.

Truth be told, this recipe jumped out at me because of my love of apricots and almonds.  When your mouth starts to water by simply reading a recipe you know you have to try it!

2 pkgs. (1/4oz. each) active dry yeast
1/3 C. warm water
1 1/2 C. warm milk
1/3 C. vegetable oil
1/2 C. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground nutmeg
5 to 5 1/2 C. all purpose flour
1 1/2 C. coarsely chopped dried apricots
1 C. chopped almonds

Glaze:
1 1/2 C. confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 to 3 tbsp. milk

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water.  Add milk, oil, sugar, eggs, salt, nutmeg, and 2 C. flour.  Beat until smooth.  Add apricots and almonds.  Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.  Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled; 1 1/2 hours.

Punch dough down; let rest 10 minutes.  Turn onto a lightly floured surface.  Roll into a 15x12 inch rectangle.  Cut into 3 inch by 1 inch strips.  Place 1 inch apart on greased baking sheets.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.  Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until light golden brown.  Remove to wire racks.

For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency.  Brush over warm logs.

Makes 5 dozen.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...