Saturday, January 26, 2013

Chipotle Braised Sweet Potatoes

I didn't touch a sweet potato until I was well into my 30s and I cannot figure out why.  I had one of  my first experience with sweet potatoes and chipotle at Dorado in Chicago.   So many times people want to mix sweets with marshmallow and brown sugar.  Spice them up, I say.

4 pieces of bacon, stacked and cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
1 medium onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
2 tbsp. dark brown sugar
1tsp-1tbsp minced chipotle pepper with adobo
1/4 C. dry white wine
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
2-3 C. chicken or beef stock
1/2-1 lime, freshly squeezed
sea salt and pepper to taste

Add bacon to cold large heavy soup pot.  Cook over medium heat until crispy.  Remove bacon from pot, drain and set aside.

Add onion, garlic, ginger and sugar.  Saute until onion is tender; 5-7 minutes.

Stir in chipotle to taste and wine.  Cook until wine evaporatesl 2-4 minutes.  Add sweet potatoes and enough stock to reach half way up the potatoes.  Cover and simmer til potatoes are knife tender; 20 to 25 minutes.  Add bacon back to pot.

Stir in some lime juice.  Adjust seasoning to taste.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...