Sunday, January 6, 2013

Pasta Fagioli

Pasta fagioli is one of my favorite soups.  I made this recipe today; I actually doubled it.  I also didn't find any specifically spinach pasta I wanted to add to the soup so I used tri-color tortellini instead.  If you use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, you have meat free meal.  I tried it and it's really hearty.  This is going to be a fantastic meal with some crusty bread.

1 tbsp. olive oil
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
salt to taste
1 14.5oz. can chicken broth
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 8oz. can tomato sauce
1 15oz. cannelini beans, with liquid

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Cook celery, onion, garlic, parsley, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and salt in the hot oil until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.  Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and tomato sauce, and simmer on low 15 to 20 minutes

Add pasta and cook 10 minutes until pasta is tender.

Add undrained beans and mix well.  Heat through.  Serve with grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.


No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...