Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Mediterranean Pasta Salad

I found this in the March 2014 issue of Health Magazine.  It's a pretty safe bet to say that I get way too many magazines!  I will be honest and tell you that I don't eat artichokes so that will be a revision I make when I make this for myself, but I can see this as a lunch staple over the summer.

3 C. chopped zucchini
4 C. chopped baby spinach
2 C. cooked whole wheat pasta, preferably a short shape such as penne
1 15oz. can of chick peas
1 6.5oz. jar marinated quartered artichoke hearts, not drained
1 2.5oz. can sliced black olives, drained
1 large tomato, chopped
1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
salt and pepper
1/4 C. fresh goat cheese

Place zucchini in a bowl.  Add 1/4 cup water, cover leaving it slightly open to vent steam, and microwave on high until tender; 4 to 5 minutes.  Uncover, drain and let cool.

Divide spinach among 4 bowls, Microwave each, uncovered, for 1 minute on high to wilt, if desired.

In a bowl, toss pasta, chickpeas, artichoke hearts with marinade, olives, tomato, basil and oregano.  Toss in zucchini.  In a separate bowl, whisk oil, vinegar and mustard.  Season with salt and pepper.  Toss with pasta mixture.

Divide mixture among bowls with spinach.  Top with cheese and serve.

Per serving: 335 calories, 15g. fat, 3mg. cholesterol, 10g fiber,  12g. protein, 43g. carbs, 691mg. sodium, 4mg. iron, 102mg. calcium

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...