Saturday, March 1, 2014

Sour Cream Cheesecake

I made this yesterday.  I was asked by a coworker to do some product testing on a new spring form pan with a reservoir attached that you fill with water in order to have the pan's own water bath.  I consider myself a better chef than a pastry chef and I rarely try making cheesecake because I have always thought they were complicated.  I spent the last week researching cheesecake recipes.  I wanted something like a New York cheesecake but not as dense as something from Eli's (no offense, Eli).  This came from allrecipes.com and was perfect.

1 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs (I actually threw graham crackers in my Magic Bullet to crush them)
1/4 C. butter, melted
1 C. granulated sugar, divided
2 eggs, beaten
16oz. cream cheese, softened
1 dash salt
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla, divided
1 C. sour cream (the recipe reads Daisy brand and that is what I happened to have)

Crust: Stir together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Press into the bottom of a 9-inch spring-form pan. Refrigerate the crust while making the filling.



Filling: Combine the cream cheese, 2/3 cup sugar, salt, beaten eggs and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl. Beat at medium speed for 5 minutes. Pour the filling into the spring-form pan over the graham cracker crumb crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool 30 minutes before adding the sour cream topping.




Topping: Mix the sour cream, 3 tablespoons sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla together in a small bowl. Pour and spread on top of the slightly cooled cheesecake. Bake for 10 more minutes at 350 degrees. Cool to room temperature and then place in refrigerator to chill before serving.


No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...