Sunday, March 16, 2014

Taste of Home Irish Soda Bread

We had dinner with friends last night.  My friend Donna makes the best Irish soda bread.  I have tried soda bread many times before and it often tastes like you're eating a cinder block with raisins.  Donna's is moist and light.  This is NOT Donna's recipe.  When we were talking last night she mentioned that it was from Taste of Home magazine.  I wanted to make some to take to my aunt's today so I went to the Taste of Home website and searched soda bread...and I found this.

4 C. all purpose flour
1/4 C. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 C. cold butter, cubed
1 1/3 C. buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 C. raisins
3 to 4 tbsp. caraway seeds
milk

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Combine buttermilk and egg; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.

Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth. Shape dough into a ball and place on a greased baking pan. Pat into a 7-in. round loaf. Cut a 4-in. cross about 1/4 in. deep on top to allow for expansion. Brush top with milk.



Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until golden brown. Yield: 1 loaf

I used my corning ware round casserole dish for this.  I can't believe I forgot to take a photograph of the baked loaf!  Too late now, every bit was eaten!

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...