Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pesto

We've had some strange weather in the area over the last week or so...warm and muggy but with a cool breeze and every other day or so it storms like crazy.  Apparently this is absolutely perfect weather for growing basil because my basil plant has tripled in size in the last 10 days and the leaves on it are HUGE!

There is nothing like fresh pesto...this is the recipe I used.  It is courtesy of allrecipes.com.  I went to Caputos today to get pine nuts...when they are $22.99 a pound, they are not on the shelves...you have to ask at the check out counter.  Makes me thing I was buying some sort of contraband!

Also, I had my basil in the food processor when I realized that my garlic had gone around the bend and I needed more.  Walked over to the local farmer's market to get some garlic.  I am going to have this on some pasta tomorrow night for dinner, cannot wait!

3 C. fresh packed basil leaves
4 cloves of garlic
3/4 C. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 C. olive oil
1/4 C. pine nuts
1/2 C. chopped parsley (optional)

Combine basil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and nuts in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend to a smooth paste. Add parsley if desired.

If you have ice cube trays lying around, put the pesto in the ice cube trays and freeze them.  Then you can thaw just what you need.




No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...