Sunday, July 13, 2014

Grill Master??? Maybe

Have you ever decided you were just going to fly blind when cooking something?  Have you been lucky enough to have it work out?  My only regret from today's meal is that we were all so hungry, it never occurred to me to take some photos.  Guess I'll have to try it again sometime soon.

Chris bought two small roasts recently.  Oddly enough for those who have stopped at my blog before, they were not pork roasts.  I had a NY strip roast and a bone in prime rib roast.  We were having some people over for dinner and I decided to cook them both on the grill.  So, about 1:30pm this afternoon, I realized I had no idea what I was doing with these roasts so I fired up the internet and googled grilling beef roasts.

I came across several options but here is the one I used.

Grill the roast approximately 15 minutes per pound but it really depends on the internal temperature of the grill and the size of the roast. Continuinggrilling until an instant-read thermometer registers 125-130 degrees for medium-rare which should be another 30-60 minutes. You should always use an instant-read thermometer to check the doneness of a roast. Always remove the roast 10 degrees before the desired temperature, the roast will riseanother 10 degrees well resting. When grilling rib eye turn the roast work quickly to close cover and retain as much heat as possible in the grill.

Now, my grill was around 550 degrees so I was in and out a bunch of times because I didn't want the meat going around the bend.  It didn't, it was awesome.  The biggest thing I can tell you is pull your meat when you reach a temp 10 degrees UNDER what you're looking for.  You'll achieve desired temp when you let the meat rest.  

Another point I will stress...make sure to leave yourself enough space on the grill for the meat to be off direct heat.  With a grill at 550 degrees, you need to make sure you don't burn your meat beyond recognition.  

I had two good cuts of meat so they were simply seasoned with truffle salt and pepper.

I promise there will be photos the next time I try this.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...