Saturday, September 13, 2014

I'll take that challenge

So, Thursday night, Chris gives me a food challenge.  He challenged me to make a white pizza for Friday night's dinner.  We didn't have everything we needed in house so I said, let's try this for Saturday after a trip to the grocery store.  I pulled a couple of recipes for white pizza but came up with what we ate tonight on my own.  I will post the other recipes after I finish this.

The recipe I started with called for a prepared pizza crust.  I am lucky enough to have Caputo's Italian market close to home,   They sell pizza dough which can be frozen.  I keep a stash at all times.  The dough ball makes two pizzas.  I roll the dough out and put it on a pizza pan and just before I toss the dough into a 450 degree oven, I  drizzle a little olive oil on top and rub it into the dough.

I've had white pizza and you can put lots of different things on white pizza.  Here is what I did.

I took a few slices of Chris' homemade (cured and smoked) bacon and cooked them up.  Then I added the bacon to a jar of Alfredo sauce.  If I had more time, I would have made my own Alfredo sauce but in this instance, Classico brand worked.  I also caramelized a Spanish onion, sliced thin and pulled into rings in 1/4 C. butter until browned and wilted.






I had some boneless skinless chicken breasts that had been cooked with Greek seasonings and I chopped them.


Last night, I roasted some red peppers.  I placed two large peppers on a cookie sheet in an oven preheated to 500 degrees for 40 minutes; turning twice during roasting.  When I removed them from the oven,  I placed them in a bowl and I covered the bowl with plastic wrap.  Once the peppers were cool, I removed the skin and seeds and put them in a covered container with a bit of olive oil and refrigerated them until I chopped a couple for the pizza.

Let's see; Alfredo sauce with homemade bacon, chicken, roasted red peppers...top this with shaved Asiago cheese and mozzarella; I didn't have fresh but I had regular shredded mozzarella and used that.  Penzeys makes a Pizza Seasoning that I use often when making pizza.

I always par-bake the crust a bit before adding toppings.  It keeps the crust from being mushy.  Once topped, I bake the pizza at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes.  I added a little fresh basil sliced into ribbons when the pizza came out of the oven.   It was amazing.





No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...