Monday, September 1, 2014

Roasted Autumn Vegetable Soup

I found this in the Sept/Oct 2014 issue of Taste of Home.  As much as I hate to admit it, summer is drawing to a close.  As much as I am not fond of winter, I do love fall and I do LOVE soup.  This will be part of my fall repertoire!

2lbs sweet potatoes
2lbs carrots
1 1/2 lbs parsnips
2 large onions, quartered
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 C. canola oil
3 32oz. cartons chicken broth
1 C. fat free evaporated milk
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Minced fresh parsley and sage

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Peel and cut sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips into 1 1/2 inch pieces; place in a bowl.  Add onions, canola oil and garlic cloves and toss to coat.  Divide between to greased 15x10x1 inch baking pans.  Roast 40-50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.




Transfer vegetables to a Dutch oven.  Add broth, milk, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil, simmer uncovered, 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to blend.



Puree soup using an immersion blender.  Return to pan and heat through.  Sprinkle with minced herbs.



I added a turnip, used regular evaporated milk and added 2 pinches of cayenne pepper for a little zing!

Per serving: 240 calories, 6g. fat, 6mg. cholesterol, 1251mg. sodium, 43g. carbs, 7g. fiber, 6g. protein



No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...