Monday, October 19, 2015

Paleo-ish Chicken Stew

I found this recipe online somewhere and honestly cannot remember if it was allrecipes.com, Pinterest or Facebook.  It was called Paleo Chicken Stew but I made some adjustments so it's not really a true Paleo recipe anymore but it's still good and good for you!!! I will note what my adjustments are so if you want the true recipe you can just leave out my add ins.

2 tsp. olive oil
1 small red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves cut into cubes (I used two whole breasts)
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (I used 4 small sweet potatoes)
1 C. fresh spinach or to taste
1 pinched crushed red pepper or to taste
Sea salt to taste
1/2 C. chicken broth, or more depending how soupy or stew-y you want it.

I added 1 12oz. bag of frozen Santa Fe mix veggies (corn, red and green peppers, onions, and black beans, and two healthy pinches of smoked paprika.  I also added my spinach right at the end; I am not a big fan of cooked spinach so I just wanted it wilted.

 Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute onion and garlic in hot oil until softened, about 5 minutes.




 Stir chicken, sweet potatoes, spinach, crushed red pepper, paprika, and sea salt with the onion and garlic in the saucepan. Pour as much chicken broth into the saucepan to make the mixture as soup-like or stew-like as you'd like it.


Bring the broth to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle and the sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...