Thursday, September 15, 2016

Tuscan Soup

Winter is going to come eventually.  *sigh*  I am looking forward to having a little more spare time in the not so distant future so I can give more than a passing stab at cooking decent meals.  I also think I will tweak this recipe a bit.  I am not sure I need 2 C. of heavy cream.  Don't get me wrong, I am sure it is DELICIOUS with the cream but I want this to be an everyday recipe, not something I just make for special occasions!!

1lb bulk Italian sausage
1 tbsp. olive oil
4 strips thick sliced bacon, diced
2 C. diced onions
2 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
2 tbsp. all purpose flour
1 tbsp. dried Italian herbs
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
7 C. low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
2. C. heavy cream
1 bunch kale, ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped
1/2 C. chopped fresh parsley

Brown sausage in oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat until cooked through.  Strain sausage through a sieve, then rinse under running water to remove additional drippings; drain and transfer to a paper towel plate.  Drain excess drippings from Dutch oven.

Cook bacon in same Dutch oven until crisp.  Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate; drain and discard all but 2 tbsp. drippings.  Add onions, garlic, flour, Italian herbs, and pepper flakes; cook over medium high heat until onions soften, about 5 minutes.

Add broth and potatoes; increase heat to high.  Bring soup to a boil and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about  10 minutes.  Crush a third of the potatoes in the pot.

Stir in sausage, cream and kale; cook to heat through and wilt kale.  Off heat, stir in parsley.


No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...