Monday, February 14, 2022

Super Bowl LVI Mac and Cheese

 We have friends who host a Super Bowl party every year (or years when Covid isn't raging).  Recently one of our hosts was diagnosed with Diabetes.  She loves my mac and cheese and I wanted to modify my recipe so that she could still enjoy it.  I figure it this way...it's not going to hurt the rest of us to eat a little healthier either.  Please note, there is still a ton of cheese and  some butter in this recipe so while the carbs are low, the fat and calories are not.

I didn't measure a ton with this recipe but what I made filled a roughly 8x11 catering tray.

I cooked 2 14oz packages of chickpea pasta (Barilla Chickpea Rotini) according to package directions.

In a heavy sauce pan I melted 4 tbsp each of butter and flour to create my roux.  I added a pint of whole milk and a splash of skim milk.  Don't go overboard on the skim or your sauce will break.  I added some onion powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper to the roux.   When it starts to thicken start adding your cheeses.  I used smoke Gouda, sharp cheddar and Colby jack; you can use whatever your favorites are.  If you can get Velveeta shredded, use some of that as well, it gives the sauce extra velvety-ness.

Taste the sauce as you go.  Add some smoked paprika if you like the flavor.  When you are happy with the taste and texture of your sauce, mix in your pasta and put it in your pan.  I put some cooking spray in the pan to make sure it doesn't all stick.

I usually top my mac and cheese with a mixture of seasoned bread crumbs and more cheese.  I subbed riced cauliflower for the bread crumbs.  I toasted the cauliflower in a skillet with butter and some finely chopped red bell pepper.  I seasoned it with some Parmesan and Asiago cheeses as well as Everything but the Bagel seasoning once the mixture was cooled.  For the pan I used, the mixture was about 2/3 of a cup.

Just before I put the pan in a 375 degree oven, I add about a half cup of whole milk to it, just to loosen up the sauce a bit. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until golden and bubbly.

Like a blogger that is out of practice, I did not take a photo of my process or my finished process yesterday.  Next time!

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...