Thursday, July 13, 2023

Rachael Ray's Spicy Chorizo Sloppy Joes

 I was home last Tuesday prepping the pasta salad I was taking to my sister's July 4th celebration when I saw this on a rerun of the Rachael Ray show.  I watched a lot of her shows while I was recovering from chemo back in 2015.  I still make a few of the recipes from back then.  I made this the other night and of course took no photos.  I made a couple of tweaks and we liked it a lot.


  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 red field pepper, seeded and chopped--I used red and yellow bell peppers
  • 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped; can sub a Fresno or any chili
  • 1 rib celery with leafy top, finely chopped--I skipped the celery
  • Salt and pepper
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
  • 1½ pounds 85% ground sirloin or plant-based beef substitute
  • ½ pound fresh beef or pork chorizo or soy-based chorizo substitute

 

For the Joes, heat oil in a cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, peppers and celery, season with salt and pepper and soften a few minutes. Add garlic and stir a minute. Add beef and chorizo and brown and crumble, then stir in the sauce, reduce heat to low and simmer a few minutes for the flavors to combine.


    For the sauce

 

  • One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
  • ½ cup beef stock or bone broth
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper sauce (Rach likes Frank’s RedHot)--I used Smoked Chipotle Tabasco
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar

 For the sauce, whisk the ingredients and set aside. 

Toppings:

  • Finely chopped white onion
  • Sliced bread and butter pickles--I served with kosher dill chips

Serve the sloppy Joes with a pile of rolls and the toppings.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...