Saturday, March 20, 2010

Let's talk about Pizza

Who doesn't like pizza, right? I have been working on my pizza recipe for a couple of years now. I have friends and family that will attest to being a guinea pig while I try different doughs, sauces and toppings. Things I have learned about making pizza in the process.

-a black pan from Aldi makes the crispiest crust I have ever seen. Better than my stone or any other pan I have used.
-when you think you have pricked enough holes into raw dough before baking, poke a few more, I can't tell you how many time I have opened my oven to find a giant bubble growing on a pizza pan.
-bake your dough before topping it with anything, you'd be amazed at how crispy it will get.
-don't be afraid to try and make your own sauce and don't be afraid to open a jar and doctor it up.
-sun dried tomatoes are awesome on a pizza
-450 degrees is a good temp for pizza baking
-experiment with cheeses
-roasted red peppers are good on pizza
-wheat crust is much denser than white crust
-if you are not a veggie fan, try them on pizza, you might be surprised
-prosciutto is good on pizza
-your crust doesn't have to be a perfect shape to be delicious
-cook your meats before using them to top your pizza, your arteries will thank you
-Trader Joe's Coastal Zinfandel that goes great with pizza
-So does beer
-don't stop making pizza when it gets too warm to turn on the oven, that's when fresh veggies are at their best and you can put a pizza on the grill.
-brush your pan and the top of your crust with good olive oil before baking, you'll love the results.
-if you think it will taste good on a pizza, it probably does.
-if you are making a homemade crust, break out the stand mixer with the dough hook
-if you have an Italian grocer or deli in the neighborhood, they probably have decent inexpensive dough...it will save you time and energy.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...