Sunday, April 4, 2010

Macaroni and Cheese for Adults

No, there isn't alcohol in this mac and cheese but it is a little more gourmet than what comes out of the blue box. Chris is not a big fan of mac and cheese but really liked this. This is not WW friendly at all but it is YUMMY! I started with a Paula Deen recipe off of the Food Network site and changed it around based on some of the recipe reviews and my own tastes. I plan to try making this with different kinds of cheese...smoked mozzarella and gouda come to mind.

2 C. macaroni, I used medium shells (about the size of a quarter)

Prepare mac according to package directions and drain.

While the mac is still hot pour into a large bowl and add 2 C. shredded cheese. I used a mixture of sharp cheddar and Mexican blend. I also added 1/4 of a large loaf of Velveeta.

In a smaller bowl beat 2 eggs, 1/2 C sour cream, 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper until smooth. Add in 1 C. whole milk and 4 tbsp. butter. Pour mixture over mac and stir until combined. Pour into a medium sized casserole, top with seasoned bread crumbs and baked at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Let it cool 10 minutes before serving.

I tried this again of 4/25/10 and used smoked provolone. The sauce was not as creamy as when I made this as written. I think I need to have less of the provolone and more cheddar to keep it creamy. It was delicious though.



No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...