Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Vegetable Stock

This is one stock I haven't tried at home yet. I think I will try it when I return from the farmer's market in Madison, WI this July. I'll be able to get all of my fresh ingredients in one place.

1 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter or olive oil
2 C. large diced yellow onion
2 C. large diced outer ribs celery
1 C. large diced leek tops
1 C. large diced fennel tops or bulbs
3/4 C. diced carrot
1 head garlic, halved crosswise
8 fresh parsley stems
2 sprigs fresh thyme

Heat the butter or oil over medium low heat in a large stockpot. Add the onion, celery, leek top, fennel, carrot and garlic. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently until the vegetables have softened and released their juices, about 30 minutes; do not let them brown. Add enough water just to cover the vegetables; about 4-6 cups. Tie the parsley and thyme together and add it to the mixture. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook without stirring until the stock is flavorful, about 45 minutes.

Strain the stock through a fine sieve, pressing gently on the veggie. Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for up to a week or freeze up to 6 months.

I think I will also try some sage and tarragon in this, and perhaps a sweet pepper or two. A good veggie stock is going to help me makeover some of my less WW friendly soups.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...