Sunday, June 20, 2010

Roasted Turkey

I have watched my share (and someone else's) of the Food Network. I have seen turkeys stuffed with stuffing, veggies, fruit, butter, herbs, the list goes on and on. So I had a turkey to cook today with the family coming over for Father's Day. I decided not to stuff it with stuffing, yep, I decided to step outside the box. Instead I used the following.

1 orange
2 lemons
Several sprigs each of fresh, sage, tarragon and parsley
1 large sprig of fresh rosemary
1 stick of butter, cut into tbsp sized pieces
Italian dressing (oil and vinegar, not creamy Italian)
salt and pepper to taste

Rinse your defrosted turkey and drain. Fill the large cavity with 3 lemon halves and 1 orange half as well as the herbs. Place the orange half and the last lemon half in the small cavity where the head used to be. Salt and pepper the bird as desired and place the pats of butter in the crevices of the wings and legs to keep the bird moist while roasting. Then slather the bird with Italian dressing. Roast at 350 degrees until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Let rest 20-30 minutes then slice and enjoy.

I am sure this would work if you decided to grill the turkey or if your decided to do a whole chicken instead of turkey.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...